StackBlitz is excited to offer SAML-based Single Sign on (SSO) to organizations using StackBlitz Enterprise Edition (EE). To enable this you need to be logged in as an admin. If you are also a company IdP admin, we can get started! If not, you will need to coordinate with whoever manages your identity provider (IdP).
StackBlitz's SAML integration relies on a user level token. To ensure consistent delivery of SAML services we recommend using an admin service account email for the admin account such as
IT@yourcompany.com to avoid email collisions with other users.
- After SAML is enabled, all non-admin members in StackBlitz must log in with SAML. Admins can still log in with a password as needed.
- Only StackBlitz Admins have the superpowers to enable SAML for the organization.
- StackBlitz offers just in time provisioning. This means that if a user logs into StackBlitz for the first time using SSO, an account will automatically be created.
Configure your IdP
Begin by logging into your StackBlitz admin account and then click on "Setup Authentication". This will take you to the "Auth Settings" page:
To start, check the "enabled" box on the SAML settings form.
Next you will find one piece of information that is unique to your organization. Look for the the Assertion Customer Service (ACS) URL and paste it into the corresponding field in your IdP. Additionally, define the "Service Provider Entity ID" (Issuer) and add it into your IdP.
Last, you need to provide either:
- The "App Federation Metadata URL" usually a URL to an XML file from IdP
- Fill in the "IDP SSO Target URL" and "Certificate Fingerprint" (which should be available from your IdP)
Fill out the remaining fields in your IdP
Admins can choose to map attributes that will send user information to StackBlitz. This allows StackBlitz to get user information for provisioning users. Best practices recommend that these attributes are mapped in addition to Name ID (Email Address):
|Display name||The display name of the user (first and last or other)|
|The email of the user|
Please note: These attributes are case sensitive, and must be entered exactly as you see here.
- StackBlitz offers "Just in time" provisioning. If a user logs into StackBlitz for the first time using SSO, an account will automatically be created as long as that email address does not already exist in StackBlitz.
- Please ensure that the email addresses in the IDP are what your users will be using to log into StackBlitz.